Search This Blog

Friday 12 September 2014

Being a glasses wearer



Hello!

Today's post is something I only thought about writing earlier today, as I was putting on my make up. Or trying to. Yes, stating the obvious, I wear glasses. I have worn them since I was 7 years old. That's almost 20 years. And I don't really remember much of the time before that, so it feels like I've been wearing them my entire life. 

Wearing glasses is a big part of me, but it's one I never really think about. They literally are like a part of my body. The first thing I do when I wake up is put on my glasses, and the last thing I do at night is take them off. If I'm ever not wearing them (rarely) I still try to touch the frames to push them up my face! I don't think I could imagine my life without glasses. When I visit the opticians they ask me about laser eye surgery, but I don't think I would ever do it. For one, I can't even touch my eye to put lenses it, let alone think about having a laser in my eye. If they could do it while I'm unconscious I would consider it! But really if I had a spare few thousand pounds lying around I would be much more likely to get a boob job!

I haven't always liked wearing glasses. When I first got them, I was bullied a lot by girls in my class who have always disliked me (and vice versa!). I got the whole 'four eye' thing and although that would never bother me now, it does knock your confidence as a 9 year old girl. I could also never find a pair of frames that suited me. I remember having these round frames when I was about 12 that made my face look even more round. For a chubby 12 year old, this was not a good look! It was only when I got into my late teens I discovered lens thinning, and I was able to pay hundreds of pounds to get thinner lenses. It meant I could have nicer frames, and for the last 5 years I have had 'bottomless' frames which don't look as obvious on your face as some glasses can look.

One of my main difficulties is actually how blind I am. Some people who wear glasses don't need them all the time, but if I have my glasses off for more than 15 minutes I get a head ache. I literally can not see anything clearly unless it is an inch away from my face. This of course causes problems. Make up being one of them. I'm not the best at applying eye make up, and not being able to see properly is a major hindrance. The amount of times I have poked myself in the eye with mascara because I couldn't see properly! I think I've got eye shadow down, but don't get me started on eye liner! If there was any time I wish I could see properly, it's when I'm putting on make up! When I dye my hair, I literally cant do anything but sit with my phone an inch away from my nose!

Prescription sunglasses

Another downside to wearing glasses is that I have to pay for prescription sunglasses too. Not only are they expensive, but it also limits me to one pair. Oh how I long to buy 5 pairs of sunnies for a holiday!

I have also had problems with buying glasses too. I find that I need new glasses at least every 2 years. And boy they are expensive. I used to go to Specsavers but in the last 5 years they never have any frames that I particularly like. The last 3 pairs I have bought were from Optical Express, which I like a lot, but I have had problems. The last time I got new glasses my prescription had only changed ever so slightly, but with how blind I am, any small change requires new lenses. Unfortunately the optician wrote down my prescription wrong, so I was given new glasses that made everything blurry. I could only wear them for 5 minutes at a time! I persevered with them for 2 weeks as every time I get new glasses it takes me a while to adjust to them. I took them back and they said to keep trying with them, but the second time I took them in they realised their mistake. It was a very stressful 2 weeks!

So, another long rambly post from me, but considering glasses are such a big part of my life I think I have done quite well not to go into more detail! Would I change wearing glasses if I could? Yes, I think I would. Mainly for the cost of buying glasses, the hassle of opticians, not being able to buy sunglasses and the general hassle of wearing them. But I don't think I will ever not wear glasses. Unless I win the lottery and develop less fear, I think my glasses will stay with me for the rest of my life. A scary thought, but I've managed nearly 20 years, I think I can last some more...

Do you wear glasses? 

How do you feel about being a glasses wearer?

Greta xx


Me and my fellow glasses wearer Sophie


 
A risky swap with a stranger - I couldn't see a thing!
The problem with rain and glasses! With my contact wearing brother Karl.
A standard selfie - the glasses are just a part of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment